Are you doing your compass check every month? Compass check? What in the world are you talking about? Of course our passion is traveling and education so it only makes sense to do your compass check…check to make sure you are headed in the right direction for your goals, mission, and vision and to be prepared for that pesky require documentation at the end of the year.
So, what do you need to do? We suggest taking time the last week or weekend of every month to do your compass check.
- Are you looking at your vision board monthly or more often? It should be where you can see it daily.
- Remember your why.
- Remember where you want to be.
- Don’t just dream it. Make it happen. That’s one of the purposes of your monthly compass check…to make sure you are on track to what you want in life.
Don’t let go of that vision!
2. Revisit your goals often.
- Have you had an opportunity to reach them?
- Have you been seeking them out?
- Add goals if your interests change or if your goals have been reached.
- Create or update your to-do list to reach your goals.
3. Update your professional development and store certificates in the proper place.
- It’s so easy to attend a PD session, whether in person or online or at the school or off site and not document it properly. (We mean other than having it on your calendar.)
- Keep a log and scan the certificates or store in a folder.
- Make it a habit of doing it it monthly.
4. At the end of the year, most states require you to complete a reflection about the year.
- Make it easier on yourself by updating your lesson plans, best practices and communication logs at the end of each month so when April or May rolls around and you have to fill out the proper documentation it doesn’t take a chunk of your precious time.
- It might be easier on you to look at the end of the year forms to know exactly what you should be updating monthly.
- Remember, work smarter not harder.
5. Keep up with your fellow educators.
- You meet so many people at conferences, PD opportunities and through mutual friends.
- Do you have their information stored in a file or some other way of organizing them.
- You never know when you will need to reach out.
- Organization is key!